The Philippine Center for Postharvest Development and Mechanization (PhilMech) being the lead agency of the Department of Agriculture engaged in agricultural mechanization, postharvest research, development and extension activities is continuously developing appropriate technologies to empower the agriculture, fishery and livestock sectors.
In line with the thrust of government towards public private partnership (PPP) attracting more investors into agriculture mechanization, PHilMech’s Industrial Promotion Program (PIPP) encourages the commercialization and utilization of improved designs of postharvest equipment in the country. To maintain a systematic and uniform procedure for the transfer and commercialization of any technology developed from the conduct of PHilMech research activities, a Technology Licensing Protocol was established. These rules primarily aims to institutionalize a uniform procedure for technology transfer and/or licensing that equally serves the ends of intellectual property protection and technology promotion. It also serves as venue to level the playing field among the manufacturers who are interested to be PHilMech partners in manufacturing its generated technologies.
In accordance with RA 8293, otherwise known as the Intellectual Property Code of the Philippines, RA 8439 otherwise known as the Magna Carta for Scientists, Engineers and other Science and Technology Personnel in Government, the protocol provides due recognition, protect and respect the intellectual property rights of PHilMech employees in the performance of their functions, particularly their entitlement to any economic benefits and to ensure the utmost accessibility of any developed technology that will benefit or serve the interest of PHilMech stakeholders.
Filing for Application for a Technology License
- All applications for a PHilMech Technology License shall be submitted to and received by the PHilMech Licensing Unit through a Letter of Intent.
- Current Mayor’s / business permit;
- SEC Registration, in the case of corporations;
- Latest Audited Financial Statement;
- List of equipment owned;
- List of five (5) biggest supply contracts undertaken in the last five (5) years;
- Certification that it is not currently blacklisted by the government or by any of its agencies
- Board Secretary’s Certification of authority to represent and bind the corporation in favor of the signatory to the application for License.
- Initial Evaluation. Within ten (10) working days from receipt of the application, the Technology Management and Training Division (TMTD), which is the licensing unit of PHilMech, shall undertake a thorough evaluation of the submitted application to determine the following:
- the due execution of the prescribed application form;
- the completeness and validity of the required supporting documents; and,
- the veracity or truthfulness of the supplied information and documents.
- List of equipment owned;
- Plant Inspection and Validation. To determine the manufacturing capability and compliance of the manufacturer to the required business permits.
- Notice of Eligibility. Upon determining its eligibility and/or full compliance with all the requirements, the applicant for a technology license shall be accordingly notified in writing and advised as to the following: stet
- the name of the company official to whom the engineering designs / drawings will be released;
- the need to submit a duly notarized Affidavit of Undertaking by the company’s proprietor or its duly authorized official; and,
- payment of a non-refundable Technology License Fee.
- Release of Engineering Designs/Drawings. As far as practicable, the engineering designs and drawings shall be directly issued to the company’s proprietor or to the duly authorized official. When the company’s proprietor or duly authorized official is unavailable because of meritorious reasons, the engineering designs or drawings maybe be released, at the discretion of the PhilMech, to a company representative subject to the former’s written authorization.
- Fabrication of a Prototype Unit. As proof of their technical capability, the applicants for a technology license shall, within a reasonable period from receipt of the engineering designs/drawings and at their own expense, be required to fabricate a prototype unit strictly in accordance with the specifications. Upon written request by the license applicant, technical assistance maybe provided by the PHilMech.
- Testing / Evaluation of Prototype Unit. Upon completion of the prototype unit, the license applicant shall request the conduct of testing and evaluation by the PHilMech. The testing and evaluation shall cover the prototype unit’s compliance with the technical design/ drawing, fabrication specifications, if any, and performance standards.
- License Certificate / Contract. Once the prototype unit has satisfactorily complied with the technical drawings, fabrication specifications and performance standards, the PHilMech shall cause the execution of a License Agreement and the issuance of a License Certificate to the qualified licensee.